7.26.2012

Dye bundles



This weekend I had a go at dyeing some shirts using the bundle method to see how much dye I could extract in a 24 hour period and trying to be attentive to the process, both before, during, and after. The shirt on the left is silk and the shirt on the right is cotton. I collected some leaves from outside to use along with an assortment of items from the kitchen: yogurt, egg, vinegar, coffee grounds, purple onion skins, lemon juice, beet root, and purple carrots.


It was a fun process. Messy and unpredictable. The notion of the unexpected, the unknown, is one of my most favorite things about dyeing this way. I love the way the silk shirt came out and I figured it would take the dye better than the cotton shirt. The cotton shirt still ended up pink but with less definition.



I'm excited to have the students taking my class try this method out in a few weeks! I have a lot of neat thoughts to share with them first, and then all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment