4.03.2012

On quiet and food

It has been quiet around here lately and here is why: Lent is wrapping up and I learned that I love food. I really really love food. This year for Lent I attempted to do a juice fast for the full 46 days. There was a lot I was hoping to learn and explore this season. I only made it 26 full days because my body couldn't run off of juice and water alone and listening to your body is part of the fast experience. I couldn't deny it when my body said enough so I started eating raw and then resuming a healthy diet a few weeks before Easter. While I was fasting I grew in ways I didn't expect. The spiritual side of the fast was renewing and left me feeling at peace. I was forced to face the reality of grace with myself and from God. And I learned that though I may not have the most traditional experience of God there is still room for my faith and experiences within the Christian tradition (more on this later). I also learned that I love food. I've always known that I love food, but mostly just eating it. I do love baking, but I don't do the cooking at home. That has tended to be Adam's job. But I found that while I was not eating all I wanted to do was make food. I wanted to be in the kitchen. What?! I am excited about this new development in my life. I am excited to explore the variety of flavors that exist in this world and give Adam a break. Tonight I made lasagna. I've made it before and it was a nice place to start again.

Here's to more nights of cooking. I'll leave you with the chocolate cinnamon sugar dusted chocolate donuts I made this weekend. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment